Sunday, May 22, 2016

faithful hands



My grandparents will have been married for 60 years on the 25th of May.  They have left such a beautiful legacy for us.  During their Anniversary party, we had a program, and I glanced back to see little Meg making her way to Grandma.  I leaned over the chairs and snapped this picture.  Grandpa was holding her little hand in his-supporting her as she moved along.  I love this photo of grandpa's hard worked hands holding his great-grand-baby's, of grandma reaching out for her.    This picture is so symbolic for me and at some point in the future when they are no longer here, I hope that I can remember this picture and know that the hands that have been there to catch me my whole life are still reaching out for me.

I have hit the jack-pot in the family department and I am forever grateful.  My grandpa has slowed down a lot the last couple of years and every chance he gets, he tells us that when it comes down to it, family and the gospel are all that really matter.  "I'm the richest man in the world" he said, tearing up as he looked at his enormous family gathered around.  I'm so grateful that they've both taught me how to become truly rich.

Those four hands have done so much good together; and they show the beauty of a life well-lived.  I've never understood people's obsession with staying wrinkle free and age-less, because when I see someone who has the marks of a life truly lived, my heart swells with the beauty they carry.  Those hands have wiped thousands of tears, pulled countless weeds alongside children and grandchildren, have thrown frisbees, footballs, and baseballs with the cousins, have held many babies and soothed scraped knees.  Those hands have been on mission after mission, they have served and lifted everyone around them.  Those hands have cheered on the side-lines of every sport, dance, and musical performance you can think of.  They have played the piano in the temple and performed many ordinances as they served year after year. The wrinkles in their eyes have come with laughter fits, and crying endless tears; they have earned their beauty and I'm forever grateful to remember them just like this.  Because their hands prove that, as sister Marjorie Peay Hinckley said, "they were truly here and truly lived". And I hope that one day, my hands can be as beautiful as theirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment